Wednesday 30 June 2010

Dunning Golf Club - course no 314

I played this short 9 hole, 2199 yard (off the yellow tees) par 33 course on 29 June 2010 after my round at nearby Whitemoss. Dunning is generally pretty flat apart and is a very easy walk. This is the 1st hole, a drivable par 4 of only 252 yards. As at Whitemoss, I hit a tree but managed a par with a good single putt. I almost went out of bounds on the long par 3 2nd after a sliced 3 wood but ended up completely stymied by a tree (take me back to links courses!) and ended up with a double bogey. The 3rd was a silly short 242 yard par 4, protected only by bunkers to the front left of the green. I found a bunker but still parred the hole, but was less lucky on the 4th and 5th, where bunkers cost me a bogey each time.

I thought the 6th was Dunning's best hole and a worthy Stroke Index 1. At 311 yards, it's actually the longest hole on the course and is a gentle dog leg left, slightly uphill. The second shot is completely blind, with trees, bushes and out of bounds immediately behind the green. I hit an easy 9 iron to 15 feet short of the hole, but missed the birdie putt. By then I'd caught up with a couple of local members and spent a few minutes practising my putting. The green slopes upward from front to back and from above the hole was scary fast, so I guess being short of the hole was the right play.



I also found bunkers at the 7th and 8th for further bogeys but just missed a really serious sand pit on this, the last, a good downhill 290 yard par 4. The pair in front were going round again and asked me whether I wanted to play though. I was seriously tempted as there were a couple of bunkers I'd missed first time round, but declined their kind offer, as I'd only paid for 9 holes. Dunning is an enjoyable walk and well worth a visit. The club is also one of the main social hubs of the village and is currently building an ambitious and very attractive new clubhouse. I hope to visit Dunning again sometime once the new clubhouse is open.

No comments:

Post a Comment