Monday 7 July 2014

Dunfermline GC - Par 3 Course - Course no 644

I'd played the 18 Hole parkland course at Dunfermline GC a few times in past years, but I'd completely forgotten that there was also a 9 Hole Par 3 Course there.  Dunfermline GC is also known locally as Pitfirrane and is a really good and testing course which I recommend you try to play if you're in the area.  Thanks go to Graeme for noticing that it I'd missed it when compiling our list of courses for our "all courses" challenge.  This is a view of the imposing clubhouse from the 2nd green of the Par 3 Course.


I played the Par 3 Course on 7 July 2014 after the round earlier that day at Strathallan School. The Par 3 Course is normally only playable by Dunfermline GC members and is ideal for juniors/beginners and those who either don't have the time for a full round or are no longer able to play the "big" course.  So, I'm very grateful to the club for allowing me access, given the charitable nature of our "challenge."  The Par 3 Course measures just 1063 Yards, Par 27, but with small greens and large trees bordering some holes, this little course wasn't as easy as it first appeared. This is the 65 Yard 1st Hole (to the red flag) shared with the 9th (played to the purple flag).  

An easy start, but other holes were far more difficult.  For example, this is the 7th, a 153 Yard hole threading its way between mature trees. Factor in a strong head wind and a tiny green and this was quite a test.  I was happy enough with a bogey there (one of five in the round!).  A score of 32 gross with 14 putts wasn't great, but this wasn't a course to be taken too seriously.  I wanted a quick round to avoid the risk of a soaking from some hefty looking dark clouds.  I'd normally have played such a short course with just a few clubs and left my bag in the car, but given the risks of rain, I took my full bag in order to have my wet suit handy.  Little wonder I attracted some odd looks from golfers playing the main course nearby!  

No comments:

Post a Comment