Sunday 1 September 2019

Maverston Golf Course - 9 Hole Par 3 Course - Course No 672


When Craig, Stu and I played the then new Maverston 18 hole course in 2014, a 9 Hole Par 3 course was under construction inside the full course layout.  We'd obviously need to play that sometime so my trip to play the new Kings course in Inverness provided an ideal opportunity. I'd played at Hopeman on the morning of 30 August 2019 and it's only a short drive from Hopeman to Maverston, near the village of Urquhart in Moray.  The wind had really increased dramatically in that time and I was soon chasing my golf shoes and other golf gear blowing away across the car park.  Whatever I was going to play next, it would be a real test. 

The 9 Hole course is only 1250 Yards long, Par 27 but one look at the card suggested that even without the gale that was now sweeping across the exposed site, this little course would have some teeth.  The holes range form 101 to 187 Yards, but the wind and the elevated nature of most of the very small greens meant that my choice of clubs would be critical.  I'd put my putter, 58 degree lob wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron and 20 Degree Rescue into a light carry bag and enough balls to survive the evil looking heavy rough that looked ready to swallow anything hit or blown offline.  I'll not detail every hole, since this is one of the small courses that have to be visited if every course is to be played, rather than a significant course in its own right.  Truth be told, it's probably just for beginners and short game practice but with that gale blowing it was still pretty formidable.  I went round in 31, with a birdie 2 at the 135 Yard 5th and 5 bogeys on some of the longer holes.  Here are some photos of the course





31 shots, including 14 putts in a little under an hour.  No food in the clubhouse unfortunately and my drive home took well over 5 hours.  A long day, but I'd finally got back to Maverston.  I don't think I'll go there again, though, either to play the 9 or the 18 hole layout.  There are many other and to me at least, more enjoyable courses in the Moray area.   

1 comment:

  1. Trying to say thanks won't simply be adequate, for the fantasti c clarity in your written work. I will immediately snatch your rss channel to remain educated of any updates. best golf bags

    ReplyDelete