Friday 19 November 2010

Prestwick St Cuthbert GC - course no 363

I played this good parkland course on 19 November 2010. I'd previously turned up on spec during the Summer, only to find that the tee was reserved all day for an Open competition (I played at Barrassie instead), so I made sure I phoned in advance this time! St Cuthbert is an easy walking flat parkland course, 5993 yards Par 70 off the yellow tees. It's a good course to play and was in excellent condition, but of the 3 courses in Prestwick, it doesn't have the trickiness of the St Nicholas course or the difficulty and historic status of the Old Prestwick course. This is a view of the 11th green, showing just how flat the course is. The bank behind the green is just about the biggest hill!


I'd met Bobby, a life member of the club on the 1st tee and we played the first 10 holes together. He'd obviously been quite a player in his younger days and although now well into his 70's was still outdriving me and finished his 10 holes in around 3 over par. Neither of us was concentrating much, but Bobby at least knew where he was going. I took 5 at each of the first 6 holes, dropping 5 strokes in the process (and half of my handicap). Another bogey at the 163 yard 7th, but at least I'd moved to one under five's. A first par on the 162 yard par 3 9th and I was out in 42. Thankfully the back 9 was much better, starting with a birdie at the short 308 yard 10th after a good lob wedge to 2 feet. I should also have birdied this, the 11th, but I missed the short putt. The greens were generally quick slick and true. Indeed, I only had 24 putts in total, but much of that was down to missing the greens in regulation and some good wedges etc around the greens. Still. it's a long time since I've had 12 single putts in a round.


I thought that the 18th was the best hole on the course, a 475 yard par 5, finishing in front of the clubhouse windows, as all good closing holes should (Downfield and certain others please note!) This is the view from the middle of the fairway. I needed a par on the last for a 1 over total of 36 on the back 9. Driver, 3 wood, Sand Iron and a couple of putts (one from off the green), job done. I'd gone round in 78, net 68 or 2 strokes under net par. A good round which should have been even better. Still, I'd enjoyed Bobby's company and had a good stroll around the course in warm sunshine and some valuable practice before tackling Renaissance the following day!

No comments:

Post a Comment