Wednesday 25 May 2011

Portpatrick GC - Dinvin Course - Course no 407

I played this 9 hole Par 3 course after the round at nearby Stranraer on 18 May 2011.  Polly and I had played the excellent 18 hole course here some years ago prior to a previous golfing holiday to Ireland, but we didn't have time to play the 9 hole course (1346 yards, par 27).  The holes here range from 84 to 222 yards and since the course is quite compact, accuracy off the tee is paramount.  For example, this is a view of the 2nd, a 151 yard Par 3 played blind over the marker, with gorse to the left of the green, OOB behind and heavy rough to the right. Factor in my poor play at Stranraer, the strong cross wind and that I'd only 1 spare ball in my bag and this became a tricky round. 

The course is also relatively hilly, with a number of rocky outcrops close to the greens, ready to deflect anything slightly wayward.  This is the 158 yard 6th, close to where my tee shot finished after hitting a rock, costing me a bogey.  This is a good practice or warm up course for the more significant challenges on the main Portpatrick course.  However, the greens are tiny and well hidden, with several blind shots, so play under your handicap here and you're doing really well.  I went round in 33 with 14 putts using the same ball!) so not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment