Thursday 15 March 2012

Crichton GC - Course no 486

This is a 9 Hole parkland course in Dumfries, measuring 2868 Yards, Par 35, from the Yellow tees.  I played here on 13 March 2012 after my games at Dalbeattie and Solway Links. This compact course is laid out on a pretty steep hillside.  The 1st hole, as shown here, is a 340 yard Par 4 that takes you up to the top of the course.  The rest of the holes run parallel to the slope and are relatively flat, with side-sloping fairways.  The 8th and 9th are flat at the bottom of the hillside.  Maybe this course is better on a bright Summer's day, but I didn't think it offered much to get excited about.

The best hole was probably the 7th, a 480 Yard Par 5 with a 2 tier fairway, aptly named "Over the Hill."  A good long drive is essential here.  I managed that but with little run on the heavy fairways, I was still a long way out and needed a 3 wood and a wedge to get home in regulation.  This is a view of the green from where my 3 wood finished. I missed the birdie putt from inside 10 feet, but a par there was still good.  I'd gone round in 41 net 35, even net par, with 15 putts, in little more than an hour.  One more course done, but I doubt  I'll ever want to play this course again.

No comments:

Post a Comment