Wednesday 4 August 2010

Kenmore GC - course no 338

I played this interesting little 9 hole course on 3 August 2010. This is a short 2751 yard par 34 course which forms part of an up-market holiday centre on the edge of Kenmore, a really pretty wee village on the River Tay in rural Perthshire. The Kenmore course was in really fine condition and is on the other side of the Tay from the more famous Taymouth Castle GC (well worth playing, by the way!) This is a view of Kenmore's excellent 1st hole, a 392 yard par 4 requiring an accurate drive to avoid trees on the left and OOB on the right. A good drive, easy 9 iron played to the front of the elevated green and a couple of putts and I'd started with a good par. That form continued on the next few holes and I was only 2 over par after 5 holes. However, normality was restored on the 6th, a tricky 421 yard par 4. I'd found the left side rough off the tee and was 25 yards through the green in 3. The green sits in a dip between 2 stands of trees and the flag looked a long way away (I'd forgotten my my laser range finder - again), so I ended up with a double bogey 6. I thought that the best hole on the course was the 7th, as shown here. This is a really tricky 145 yard par 3, with a small plateau green well protected by bunkers. I found the bunker on the right off the tee and had a good up and down for par. I'd found the green with a second ball and also parred with it, just for good measure. I really liked the course and would recommend it as a good holiday course. It only took me just over an hour to play it and it was really easy walking, so an ideal track for a quick 9 holes! The 9th was a good finishing hole with a severely sloping green and although it's only 360 yards, a 4 here is a good score. I made a bogey with an excellent pitch from behind the green, though whoever put the hole on the steepest slope on the green was surely having a laugh. I ended up with a gross 40, net 35, compared to the par of 34, so not too bad overall. There's a duck pond to the left of the fairway, hence this family out for a morning stroll! I was in no hurry and was happy to share the fairway for a while. A peaceful place, this golf course and well worth playing before you tackle the excellent 18 hole course at Taymouth Castle GC later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment