Friday 22 April 2011

Blairgowrie GC Wee Course - Course no 396

Polly and I played here on 22 April 2011 after our round at Dalmunzie.  Blairgowrie is in my view one of the best inland golf complexes in Scotland, with 2 excellent 18-hole courses, Rosemount and Landowne, that I'd previously played a number of times.  Both of these courses are heathland in nature, laid out amongst mature forest, mainly pine and birch, with heather bordering most fairways.  The Wee Course is a 2373 yard 9-hole course, Par 32, that is just like the bigger courses in miniature, providing an excellent short course that is ideal for juniors, seniors and general practice.  At some clubs I've visited, such shorter courses are fairly modest in design and with less spent in maintenance and general course presentation.  Not so here, as the Wee Course ranks alongside some of the best 9 hole courses I've played so far in my travels.  The 1st is a gently downhill 182 yard par 3.  I missed the green to the left, had an awkward lob wedge over a deep bunker and ended up bogeying the hole.

This is a view of from the 2nd fairway, giving a flavour of the landscape at Blairgowrie.  The 2nd is a downhill dog leg right 340 yard par 4 and my favourite hole on the course.  I'd hit a good drive that must have run a long way, as it was only 40 yards or so short of the green.  An easy pitch over the front bunker, avoiding the 2 large sentry pines and an easy par followed.  I birdied the 331 yard par 4 3rd with a driver and sand iron approach to 20 feet and a good putt.  I wish I'd at least parred the 4th, named "Mcpherson of Cluny" (presumably after the McPherson Clan Chief), but I missed the green and took bogey.  I also took bogey on the 5th after nearly hitting a very young lad playing in front of us with his young sister.  I'd tried a 7 iron out of a bad lie, and had an sh---.  The 6th is another really good hole, this time a dog leg left 297 yard par 4.  The tiger line is over the big trees to the left of the fairway.  I'm usually more cautious, but had a go, almost reaching the green, but was well stymied by more trees.  Taking 5 more shots to get down from 20 yards is poor, though!

This is the 9th an uphill 173 yard par 3.  I'd hit an easy 7 wood to the front right of the green, leaving an uphill putt (which I missed),  Still a closing par meant I'd gone round in 38, with 17 putts, so not a bad score.  The Wee Course was great fun to play.  If you don't have time for 18 or 36 holes over the bigger courses at Blairgowrie, then try the Wee Course.  You'll love it, just as we did.

There's one other thing about Blairgowrie that I really like.  The Rosemount championship course finishes right in front of the clubhouse and a large sun terrace, which provided Polly and I with the ideal excuse to have a post-round pint in the Spring sun, watching the golf.  Happy days!

No comments:

Post a Comment