Wednesday 27 April 2011

Muirkirk GC - Course no 399

This was the third course I played on 26 April 2011.  Muirkirk is just up the road from New Cumnock and is a 2525 yard Par 34 moorland course.  Muirkirk also reminded me of nearby Douglas Water GC, though it's slightly less hilly than that course.  There's no honesty box and green fees are payable at some local shops in the village, a mile back down the road.  Muirkirk was also in good condition , though not as fast running as New Cumnock.




Muirkirk was also more quirky, as this next photo might suggest.  Just a tree, but notice the scarring on the trunk?  This photo was actually taken a yard or so forward of the Yellow tee markers at the 1st tee.  The hole is a sharp dog leg right 287 yard Par 4, so the brave line is over the trees to the right.  I'd taken the wrong line and only narrowly missed the tree in front of the tee.  I'd ended up close to the 9th tee, towards the left of the photo, and I managed an opening Par easily enough, but struggled to find the 2nd tee (back up the hill and tucked behind the 9th tee if you ever play here!)

It was soon to become evident that my game had peaked at New Cumnock, since after that opening par, I bogeyed each of the remaining 8 holes, despite some valiant efforts to do better.  Perhaps I was trying too hard, but it just seemd that if there was a bad lie or a surprising bounce, I'd get it.

I was slightly disappointed that the clubhouse was closed and there were no members about, as I was keen to ask why the 8th was called "Honeymoon" as it's a rather ordinary 284 yard Par 4 with no obvious attractions.  The 9th, however, is probably more memorable.  This is a 162 yard Par 3 with OOB on the right and a really tricky green.  I'd landed my tee shot on a steep slope at the front left of the green, only to see my ball run right off and down the hill to the 1st tee.  I hit my second to within a yard of the hole, only for it to come back to my feet, so a 4 from there was pretty good.

I'd gone round in 42, a remarkable 8 over par, with 16 putts, so not good playing.  Muirkirk is OK, but I doubt whether I'd want to play it again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alan i am currently trying to play all the courses in scotland. i was wondering if there is a list or book you can get with all the courses listed? i play my golf on a monday so if you are ever looking for a playing partner let me know? I have played 215 courses to date. please contact me at lawson@lorne.wanadoo.co.uk look forward to hearing from you Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony - I've sent you an e-mail in reply

    ReplyDelete