Friday 12 March 2010

Cupar GC - course no 262

I finally played this course on 12 March 2010, having chickened out the previous week after playing at nearby Elmwood. I took one look at the far off top of the course and told myself that another day would do. Cupar is another of Scotland's hilly 9 hole par courses and plays to 33 off the yellow tees. I was really lucky here meeting Jim, a retired fireman, on the first tee and playing the course with him. We had a good laugh going round and despite the exertions at Langholm the previous afternoon, I didn't really notice the hills, until I tried to get out of the car later in the day! This a view from the 3rd tee that gives some idea of the slopes. Cupar plays to 2376 yards a par of 33 off the yellow tees and was great fun to play. Here is the view from the 7th tee, a tricky par 4 of 348 yards that I managed to bogey, after finding my original ball in heavy rough. Below is my approach to the green, ever so slightly downhill, with the town in the background. I managed to go round in 38, or 6 over par. No Birdie, despite a number of chances. Good course though. Cupar is also somewhat odd as being the only course I've played so far in Scotland that involves a walk through the local cemetery to get to the clubhouse. as Jim said, there's many a former member lying there who'd happily settle for the bad golf that is sometimes played over the course. Surely a reality check for anyone who's game is off or who has missed the buffer zone in the monthly medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment