Sunday 4 August 2013

Deeside GC - Blairs Course - Course no 602


Polly decided not to play the Blairs course, a wise choice given the continuing sauna conditions on 29 July 2013.  The Blairs is basically a miniature version of the Haughton Course and at a modest 2515 Yards Par 34 is an easier test.  This is the 1st, a downhill 211 Yard Par 3 played from an elevated tee.  I missed the green to the right, found some rough and took an opening bogey.  I'd started immediately behind a young junior, but either the weather was taking its toll or I'm getting slow in my dotage, as he was quickly a couple of holes ahead of me.  Anyway, I was happy enough dawdling along.  Like the Haughton, Blairs was in great condition.  The greens were smaller and less complex but I was tired and the Blairs was challenge enough.

As with the Haughton, the last hole here is also the best.  The 9th is a 334 Yard  Par 4. Get your drive away and you're left with avoiding a stream that cuts laterally in front of the green.  I managed that OK and had a 20 foot putt for a closing birdie, which quickly became a 10 foot putt for par.  I'd simply lost concentration and was really wilting in the sun and continuing humidity.  I don't 3 putt from 20 feet very often, but at least the course had been played.  Another off the list and another milestone achieved. 600 courses played! I'd gone round in 38, net 32.5 with 19 putts.  The Blairs is an easy enough test and is a good companion to the considerably more difficult Haughton course.  

No comments:

Post a Comment