Friday 12 February 2010

Bothwell Castle GC - course no 249

I played this excellent course on 12 February 2010. From the bleakness of Auchenharvie to a course that, from its impressive red sandstone archway to its great looking clubhouse, just oozes class. I'd been looking forward to playing here since reading its impressive website and was not disappointed, because this is one of the best parkland courses I've played in ages. Bothwell Castle is a par 70 of 5955 yards off the yellow tees. Unfortunately, temporary greens were in play, but even that did not detract significantly from the quality of the course and the enjoyment it offered. This is a view up the 4th hole, a lovely 378 yard par 4. I really should have birdied that hole, having hit my wedge to within a 3 feet - what great views the owners of the big houses behind the green must have!

I did manage a birdie on the 6th a good 323 yard par 4 with a blind tee shot and was out in 40, 4 over par. I played even better on the back 9, with 6 pars and 3 bogeys. The best hole turned out to be the 13th a dog leg to the right, aptly named "Curler" of 375 yards. This is a view from the tee. I also liked the 15th "Silverwell" and here is the well in question, which didn't really come into play from the tee, but a formidable obstacle, I guess.
For me, one of the great satisfactions in golf is seeing the shot and executing it precisely. The 16th at Bothwell Castle is a right dog leg of 391 yards, par 4, requiring a slight fade off the tee. I went down the shaft of my 3 wood and faded the ball around the trees to put the ball precisely in the middle of the fairway, leaving a short shot and a couple of putts. Job done!
I would love to play Bothwell Castle again. There are no poor holes on this course but there are many good ones that will stick in the memory for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment