Tuesday 23 February 2010

Vogrie Golf Course - Course no 254

I played this course on 23 February 2010. Vogrie is a pleasant 2530 yard 9 hole parkland course owned and operated by Midlothian Council, within Vogrie Country Park. This is a view of the 5th fairway. The full course was in play, but there had been a frost earlier in the day and although the top of the ground had thawed out, the conditions were far from ideal and the greens were pretty slow and bumpy. I enjoyed the course and went round twice scoring 39 and 37 against the par of 33. That made the round 76 gross, or net 64 against a par of 66, so scoring was pretty good, despite the conditions.

I thought the best hole at Vogrie was the 7th, a 180 yard par 3, shown here, with good bunkering and a 2 tier green. My 7 wood on the first round just caught the front bunker and I took 4. Having been waived through at this hole on the second round, the 7 wood caught the bottom half of the green, pin high and I just missed the 20 foot putt. The 8th was another very good hole, an uphill right dog leg 373 yard par, stroke index 1, with a blind second shot to a small green. The fairway bunker at the corner of the dog leg doesn't really come into play and could be moved another 40-50 yards closer to the green. On both occasions, I had a 7 iron to the green and got my par each time. For reasons not immediately obvious, this hole was called Ha Ha Ditch, but there's no ditch, so maybe that's the joke.

The last hole, shown below, is also a bit odd. The card said 149 yards, as did the yellow tee box, but the hole is slightly downhill and looked far shorter. I hit an 8 iron each time and each time finished 10 yards through the green. I didn't have my laser range finder with me, but I suspect the yardage is seriously wrong. Anyway, Vogrie is a good little course, well worth a visit. Not difficult at all, and I imagine would be popular with beginners in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment