Tuesday 16 February 2010

Melville Golf Course - course no 251

I played this course on 16 February 2010. The Melville golf course is part of a golf complex (including a good driving range) to the south east of Edinburgh. It's a 9 hole course of 2057 yards, par 33 and is a pretty good beginner's course, with holes ranging from 104 to 415 yards. This is the approach to the second, a short par 4 of only 273 yards.


I thought the best hole on the course was the 5th, a 330 yard uphill par 4, with a tricky undulating green. I took a 5 after missing the small green with my wedge. This is a view back down the 5th, with the Pentland Hills in the background. However, I made up for that mistake at the 6th, a 121 yard par 3 with good bunkering to protect the green. My 9 iron landed a few inches directly behind the hole and stuck there, such was the dampness of the green. An easy birdie that impressed the 3 old guys watching me from the nearby 7th tee, but that first hole in one remains as elusive as ever, after almost 43 years of trying. One day, Alan, one day! I went round Melville in 36 strokes and would hope to do better in summer conditions, when the greens were faster. Although the full course was in play, the conditions were pretty damp underfoot and the greens were painfully slow. A good beginner's course, and thoroughly enjoyable. I'd happily play here again and try to break par next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment