Tuesday 2 February 2010

St Andrews Balgove - Course no 243

I played this 9 hole course on the afternoon of 1 February 2010. Polly had more sense and went into the Eden clubhouse for a warming coffee. The Balgove is a beginner's course of only 1,520 yards, par 30. It is almost perfectly flat, with a few shallow bunkers and a couple of par 4s of 220 and 219 yards that would normally be par 3s on bigger layouts. However, it would be a good warm up for the adjacent Eden course.



The best hole is undoubtedly the 5th, a 155 yard par 3 played on the day into a stiff northerly breeze. I hit a 6 iron, the ball finishing 7 feet to the left, pin high. Not bad, so I played a second ball, this time finishing 8 feet to the right of the hole. Pretty good, but remarkably, I holed both putts for birdies. I don't remember ever doing that when practising, so well done me. This is the 5th green, with the 2 balls clearly visible. I also birdied the second hole, though at only 219 yards, surely the shortest par 4 I've played in a long time. I went round in 31 and was tempted to do a second 9 to see if I could break 60. Maybe another time!

No comments:

Post a Comment